Now, recreational marijuana is in full swing in Oregon. There are dedicated storefronts, and customers can purchase any cannabis product, including edibles and concentrates.
Before Leaving For Oregon
Thankfully, Oregon makes it easy for residents and non-residents alike to buy legal marijuana. Under Oregon’s legal weed law, anyone 21 years of age or older can purchase and use recreational marijuana.
So you do not need to live in the state, have an Oregon address, or even an Oregon ID. All you need is a government-issued ID that verifies you are of age to buy and consume legal cannabis.
One last thing you’ll need is cash. Federal prohibitions prevent legal marijuana businesses from using banks and other financial services.
How to Buy Legal Weed in Oregon Once You Arrive
To buy legal cannabis in Oregon as a tourist, you simply need to ensure you have your ID with you, and head to any recreational weed store you want.
Note: Don’t try to buy recreational weed at a medical cannabis dispensary!
With new rules for recreational market in 2017, recreational users can only purchase weed at licensed recreational-only stores.
For recreational consumers, this means that their cannabis will be taxed at a lower rate. The drawback, for now at least, is that there are fewer places to buy. So make sure to head to a recreational weed store, and not a medical dispensary!
What to Expect At the Dispensary
After choosing the perfect recreational storefront for you, here is how to buy:
- Bring your documents. Ensure to bring your government-issued ID.
- Register. When you enter, expect some security. The front-desk clerk will check your ID to verify your age. Then you will be checked or added into an electronic system which keeps a registry of all customers. After the process, you’ll hear a small buzz as the electronic lock to the promise land is released.
- Take your time. Don’t be shy about looking around and asking questions about products that are unfamiliar or exciting to you.
- Buy wisely. When entering the dispensary, try to contain your excitement! Budtenders are eager to upsell, and the prices drop if you buy more. Hence, it can be very easy to walk out with more than you could ever hope to vape, eat, dab, or smoke.
- Don’t hang around. Finally, don’t open or touch your products after buying them. Your budtender will package the goodies up in a discreet container. You may be excited to check them out on your way out of the store. But it is illegal to consume weed in public. And dispensaries are tightly regulated and could get into serious trouble for this. So once you receive your purchase, leave immediately. Get a safe distance away from the store before peeping your stash.
- Enjoy your weed in a private place!